Working with us
Sous Chef, Chef de Partie & Kitchen Assistants
Do you aspire to work in one of the most beautiful places in the world, delivering exceptional food experiences to guests at our luxury eco-lodge?
Hapuku Lodge + Tree Houses, Kaikoura is looking for chefs & kitchen assistants for the spring/summer season to join our existing team.
Our vision is to provide a world-class experience both in accommodation and food, aiming for the highest standards in all aspects of our guests' stay. At the heart of the Hapuku Lodge experience is a passion for good food and wine. Produce is sourced from the Lodge's own herb and vegetable gardens, eggs from our free-range chickens and oil from our olive grove. We also source quality produce from local farmers as well as crayfish (lobster) and seafood from the Kaikoura coast, and forage for wild herbs and fruit. The lodge shares the land with a deer stud and vineyard which produces wine for the restaurant. The world-class surf break of Mangamaunu Bay is only a kilometre away.
We are looking for applicants that are:
• passionate about great food and delivering exceptional quality
• personable, genuine and interested in our guests (we run an open kitchen with guests often sitting at the pass)
• able to cope with working long hours from time-to-time, during our busiest periods (in particular Christmas/New Year)
• flexible and able to quickly pick up new techniques or execute new recipes (our menu changes every day)
• team players and work with the rest of the crew until the job is complete.
We have both evening and morning shifts which vary in length across a 5 day rostered week that will include weekends. As part of a small team, flexibility in rostered shifts is essential.
Positions currently available are:
• Sous Chef (October 2017 – April 2018 )
• Chef de Partie (November 2017 – April 2018)
• Kitchen Assistant – two positions (1 x Sept/Oct– April 2018; 1 x November – March 2018), please note: these positions work opposite shifts so not suitable for a couple however please refer to our website for other available positions
There is some flexibility with these dates for the right applicants.
Applicants for these positions should be NZ citizens, have NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit, as well as transport to and from the lodge (12 kms out of the Kaikoura township).